Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Color Yellow Rules our Day

Gunner is our oldest child so everything he does is a big- okay HUGE deal to us!  It didn't matter if it  was learning to walk, his first Tball game or going to Kindergarden we made a big deal out of it because well frankly we can!  So Gunner started Kinder this year and of course there were the tears and the butterflies and the background checks on his teacher and such;-) that was Eric by the way!  If your kid has started school you know what we mean!  Will he do well? Will he fit in? Will the teacher love him like I love him?! So those of you that are on your 2nd and 3rd kid in school will laugh at this story but oh well....

So having recently moved to a new town where everything and I mean EVERYTHING is booming with new people, we found out that the public schools were highly over crowded and all the Christian schools had a 1-2 year wait list. We found a small Christian school that offered Kindergarden and had an opening so we jumped on it!  We have loved it so much!  That is a whole other post though. So we rocked through the first week of school like pros and the second week was looking to be promising as well when Gunner came home with a YELLOW?!?! Apparently in kinder the kids are rated on their behavior on a color system and all I knew was that YELLOW fell below the "good" line!  My first action was to call Eric and announce that our firstborn son had received a yellow on the second week of school and that we WOULD NOT have THAT kid!  My teacher imagination immediately went into FULL mode and I will admit now that I may have over-reacted a bit...maybe just a little. All I could picture was MY son being the kid in class not following the rules or obeying the teacher!  Eric and I decided that Gunner would need to be grounded that evening from TV, get a "coming to Jesus meeting" from Eric that night and that I would need to walk him into class the next morning and find out what he was doing to get that color!  (Please keep in mind this school thing is new for us as parents.)So that's exactly what I did the next morning only to be completely embarrassed by my over-reaction. His teacher probably labeled me as the nutty mom!  After I "assured" her about how    serious we were about him acting good for her in class, she told me that yellow was just a warning
and that they will get yellows a lot at first.  They are learning the rules and that it serves as a warning to stop and think about how to make better choices:-) OH!!!!!!!!!! Yea that's what we thought but just needed to make sure;-) I think I earned myself a YELLOW  that day!! Thank goodness we serve a God of second chances and I get to stop and think about my choices next time my first instinct is to
jump to the worst conclusions:-) Man this parenting thing is hard!!

No comments:

Post a Comment